Kefir has amazing medicinal qualities when fermented, and this fizzy drink is loaded with vitamins, minerals, nutrients, probiotic bacteria, and yeast.
Kefir ‘grains’ are actually bacteria and yeast clusters which look like jelly crystals and live in a symbiotic relationship. They contain a unique set of nutrients which:
- Treat inflammation
- Strengthen the immune system
- Improve digestion
- Fight allergies
We suggest the following recipe of a delicious homemade orange, turmeric, and ginger water kefir:
- Rehydrated Water Kefir Grains
- 1/4 cup sugar per quart of water
- Filtered water
- Juice of 1 orange
- 1-inch piece of turmeric, grated
- 1-inch piece of ginger, grated
You will also need:
- A large glass jar
- Wooden stirring utensil
- A fine strainer to remove the kefir grains
- One towel or paper coffee filter to cover the jar
Pour the sugar and hot water in the jar, and stir to dissolve the sugar. Then, pour 3 cups or room-temperature water. Leave it to cool, and then add the kefir grains.
Next, cover the jar and place it aside for 24-48 hours, in a warm place, 68°-85°F.
Strain to get rid of the kefir grains, and use them to make a new batch.
Enrich the flavor of the water kefir with orange, turmeric, and ginger, and store it in the refrigerator.